»

Thursday, August 03, 2006

My First Week

My Sisterlocks are exactly one week old in these photos. I tried to style my hair in a way that I would feel more comfortable wearing...boy am I glad I got my hair cut before getting the sisterlocks. At least I have some resemblance of a style! ;-) The pictures were taken at a family reunion. I took them so that my friends & family could see. I believed they all believed I would look like Whoopi Goldberg or a rastafarian. I now have the opportunity to educate them on this wonderful world that's been opened up to me! This especially goes for my dear husband. I think it will take a while for all of this to sink in for him. I'm taking him on this journey with me so he can become aware and develop and informed opinion.

Returning to work after the locks were installed, was a bit scary. Although, my direct department doesn't have alot of ethnicity (I'm like one of 5 out of 50 - 75) I was nervous about the inquiries I would possibly receive. Surprisingly, everyone said it was cute. Many thought I had extensions. Some were intrigued by the tiny 'braid-like' locked roots, while others didn't even notice that my hair was locked and probably wouldn't know what it meant anyway, so I didn't waste my time explaining. All in all, it was a good feeling. I am becoming increasingly more confident about my hair. I was very self-consious about the oil thing in the very beginning. In fact, while in the chair (confession time) during my locking session, I was thinking...no oil?...yeah right. I will lightly oil my hair - cause I can't do without it! - and she'll never know...of course that was until two things happened, the first: my consultant told me how much a session runs if you're having to have slipped locks retightened/done. As if that weren't enough by itself...the second: in these first two weeks, I have realized that my hair can 'be' without adding a ton of products to make it 'shiny'. I found that, while my hair is a bit frizzy, I can STILL see SHINE!! And...it bounces too! I never would have thought it! One small problem, I sure hope someone out there can help me with this: I find myself scratching my head, and I don't believe that it is best for my young locks. What do you think? Is there a technique for those who just received their locks and are experiencing dandruff problems?

10 comments:

Maryee and Jena said...

Hey Drea!! Congrats on your Sisterlock Journey!! Your blog is off to a great start!!! Keep blogging, taking pictures and loving the NATURAL You!!

Maryee

Aundrea said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Maryee! Will do!

Anonymous said...

Hello Aundrea,

You hair looks beautiful, it really fits you :) The words you share in your blog is exactly how I was feeling 3 years ago and now I am shocked and excited with the progress of my hair. I never thought I could be so happy and comfortable with my hair. Stay encouraged and feel free to check out my blog......B
http://chosenvessel2006.blogspot.com/

Aundrea said...

Thanks chosenvessel. I actually have been to your blog previously...don't know how exactly I happened upon it...beautiful locks by the way! Anyway, thanks for the insight. I look forward to the time that I can say the same!

Goodnapps said...

Hey Aundrea, you look marvelous with your new Sisterlocks. To help with the itching, try a homemade dandruff tonic. There are a million concoctions to choose from and everyone has their own favorite. But use it sparingly. Once a week at the maximum.

Ree-C said...

Congratulations! Your hair looks great.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never knew Sisterlocks were so healthy for your hair. I assumed, just as you stated in your blog, that they would be like dreadlocks. I'm very unsatisfied with the whole relaxer thing and I'm finding it to be more and more difficult to keep my hair healthy. Do you think this would be a better alternative? I've even thought about cutting all my hair off again, but too many people close to me are against this...my husband NOT being one of them. As you know, this was the look I donned when we got married :-) Give me your opinion...I know you'll be honest with me!
Love ya,
-T

Aundrea said...

Tanya - Thank you so much for the compliment, and especially the recommendation for the itching tonic!! My consultant also suggested Sea Breeze for the itching. It actually seems to have tapered off quite a bit. I think it was due to the newness of my locks. Over time, my scalp seems to have adjusted. Thanks again and by the way...I love the look of your locks! I wish I had the courage to start from all natural hair...I just couldn't, or so I thought, go without my hair...as overprocessed as it is. A decision I have come to regret.

Aundrea said...

Ree-C - Thanks a bunch! YOUR hair is da' bomb! That is the length I would love to have -- color too!

Aundrea said...

Tessa aka anonymous - Thanks sis! And you wear both long hair and the shaved look very well, so the decision should come down to how YOU feel. I personally think Sisterlocks would be a great change for you! Let's talk! :-)