»

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

To Lock, or Not to Lock...That is the Question.

After having several years to ponder the question: Are you really ready...I finally took my heart and mind on a journey to the soul. I asked myself, what are the reasons why you are 'not sure' you want to commit to Sisterlocks? Are those reasons enough to cause you to, again, reconsider? The reasons I was toiling over, though I really don't think I wanted to admit it were: Truly...how will I look? I've read that each person's hair type will determine how Sisterlocks look and feel. With my coarse hair, my thoughts were...will I look ugly? I thought, I don't have the soft curly hair that many sisters have...the kind that my husband describes as having 'good hair'...which leads me to my second thought to ponder...will my husband find me attractive? He is one who has always adored long, soft, and straight hair in women. Lord knows I've had my trials and tribulations trying to meet that perception! To no luck. Surprisingly, I found that I finally reached a peaceful place inside with this and thought, this is me. This is my hair. Me and my nappy, coarse hair ARE attractive. If he, or anyone else for that matter, doesn't find me attractive and / or desirable once I take this step...tough!! And then finally, the last thought I pondered was, will I get tired of it...really. Will I? Will I want to sport bone straight hair again, even for a short time? To tackle this mis-guided concern, I thought...this is meant to be a lifestyle change, Drea...get with the program! Realize that your natural hair can do many, many things with a little creativity and with the flexibility that Sisterlocks can enable. And that was it! After those 2 additional months of brooding, I was finally there. Here are a couple of pics of my hair, post the last set of braids, and soon after my Sisterlocks consultation...I have test locks in there somewhere...

My hair had been highlighted and pressed in this photo. I had about 1 1/2 inches of new growth. In this first pic, you can see how damaged my sides and ends were/are. I had been sporting my last set of braids since my third trimester of pregnancy. After giving birth to my son, and trying to make my way as a new mom, my hair took a back seat and was forgotten...always the case with microbraids.
It looks pretty shiny, huh?

0 comments: